Hobsons Bay Libraries is hosting a poetry workshop with Dr Chris Ringrose, Adjunct Associate Professor of English at Monash University on Saturday 21 November 2015 from 10.00am – 12.45pm. The workshop is designed for anyone thinking of entering the Ada Cambridge Poetry Competition in 2016. Writers can an use it to revisit existing poems before entering them for the Adas, or as a springboard for writing new material for the competition. Join Chris and read poetry, talk about it, do some writing and some sharing. Topics covered include:
1. The importance (and unimportance) of subject and theme.
2. Finding your own poetic voice.
3. Saying too little/telling too much.
4. When rhymes can can work (and when they don’t)
5. Meter and free verse.
6. Poetry and connections
7. A critical (and pragmatic) look at poems that have won the competition in the past
This workshop is free of charge, but registration is required as places are limited.